Ubuntu Pro is providing additional coverage for production environments running in the cloud.
Ubuntu Pro is a cross-cloud OS optimized for Azure, security maintained for 10 years, that enables the secure use of open source software so teams can utilize the latest technologies while meeting internal governance and compliance requirements. It remains fully-compatible with Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS, but adds additional security enabled by default, as well as compliance and management tools in a form suitable for small to large-scale Linux operations.
Ubuntu Pro for Azure is the official Ubuntu image designed by Canonical, the publishers of Ubuntu, and optimized in collaboration with Microsoft for Azure. For more information, see Ubuntu Pro for Azure.
Why developers and devops choose Ubuntu Pro for Azure
- Access to security updates for 30,000+ packages including Apache Kafka, NGINX, MongoDB, Redis and PostgreSQL, integrated into normal system tools (e.g. Azure Update Manager, apt)
- Security hardening and audit tools (CIS) to establish a security baseline across your systems (and help you meet the Azure Linux Security Baseline policy)
- FIPS 140-2 certified modules (note: Ubuntu Pro with FIPS pre-enabled is available here)
- Common Criteria (CC) EAL2 provisioning packages
- Kernel Livepatch: kernel patches delivered immediately, without the need to reboot
- Optimized performance: optimized kernel, with improved boot speed, outstanding runtime performance and advanced device support
- 10-year security maintenance: Ubuntu Pro 16.04 LTS provides security maintenance until April 2026
- Production ready: Ubuntu is the leading Linux in the public cloud with > 50% of Linux workloads
- Developer friendly: Ubuntu is the #1 Linux for developers offering the latest libraries and tools to innovate with the latest technologies
- Non-stop security: Canonical publishes images on a daily basis, ensuring security is built-in from the moment an instance launches
- Portability: Ubuntu is available in all regions with content mirrors to reduce the need to go across regions or out to the Internet for updates
- Consistent experience across platforms: from edge to multi-cloud, Ubuntu provides the same experience regardless of the platform. It will ensure consistency of your CI/CD pipelines and management mechanisms.