Flatcar Container Linux Pro is an Azure-optimized edition of Flatcar Container Linux, ideal for production container environments requiring the highest performance, security and support.
Flatcar Container Linux Pro is a self-updating operating system designed for containers, making it ideal for running Kubernetes and other container platforms. It is suitable for anyone deploying containerized applications, particularly those seeking to do so securely or at scale.
"If you're doing work in the container space, Flatcar Linux is something that's really for you."
- Ross Gardler, Principal Program Manager, Microsoft Azure (MS Ignite 2020)
Why users choose Flatcar Container Linux Pro
- Security: A minimal distribution with immutable file system meets NIST recommendations for application container security
- Auto-updating: With Flatcar's robust auto-update mechanism, it's easy to keep your entire fleet up-to-date with the latest capabilities and security patches, and roll-back in the event of an upgrade issue on a specific instance.
- Reduced complexity: As a minimal distribution, Flatcar includes just those components you need to deploy your containers, and nothing more. Also, its immutable file system and auto-update mechanism means it requires minimal operational support.
- Backed up by Kinvolk: With enterprise-grade support contract, backed up by Kinvolk's service level agreement, you can deploy with confidence knowing the team behind Flatcar is there to support you every step of the way.
Optimized for Azure
- Azure-Optimized Kernel based on the 5.4 Linux kernel, optimally configured for Azure out of the box. Automated updates ensure your deployment continues to take advantage of the latest available Azure platform support.
- Azure Accelerated Networking support for the highest possible network performance.
- Azure GPU Instance Support comes with pre-installed drivers for all Azure GPU instance types.
- Seamless Support: in the event of any issues, the Microsoft Azure and Kinvolk support teams are committed to collaborating to respond and resolve as quickly as possible.
NIST Security Recommendation for Containerized Applications
Deploying a container-optimized OS like Flatcar is recommended by NIST in its application container security guide: "Whenever possible, organizations should use these minimalistic OSs to reduce their attack surfaces and mitigate the typical risks and hardening activities associated with general-purpose OSs."
Pricing starts at $0.01 per core per hour, decreasing with higher core-count instance types.
For large volume pricing, or support requirements beyond the scope of Kinvolk's standard SLA, please contact email@example.com.