Statistically Level 1 support can mitigate 90% of incoming incidents. The remaining 10% require involvement of development teams. In the world of SRE’s it's all about delegation of responsibility to development.
The Azure DevOps Connector for VIAcode IMS integrates VIAcode Incident Management System (VIMS) with Azure DevOps to enabling end-to-end SRE escalation process for your Azure operations. It allows support engineers to delegate an incident to the proper Azure DevOps team responsible for the service. The product backlog item including the incident details will be automatically created in Azure DevOps. Once an issue is resolved in Azure DevOps the VIMS tickets go into a pending review state so a VIMS support engineer can confirm that the issue is resolved and can close the ticket.Prerequisites:
Contact us for more information.