Windows Server Virtual Machine Images
Windows Server is the operating system that bridges on-premises environments with Azure services enabling hybrid scenarios and maximizing existing investments, including:
- The latest is security innovation including Secured-core to minimize risk from firmware vulnerabilities and advanced malware.
- Unique hybrid capabilities with Azure to extend your datacenter and maximize investments.
- File server security and performance increased with SMB AES-256 encryption and SMB on-the-fly compression.
- Azure Edition images with additional functionality optimized to run in Azure.
- Improvements to Windows container runtime such as cross-version compatibility and containerization tools for .NET, ASP.NET and IIS applications.
Windows Server 2022 is the latest Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) release with five years of mainstream support + five years of extended support. Choose the image that is right for your application needs.
- Server with Desktop Experience includes all roles and a graphical user interface (GUI).
- Server Core omits the GUI for a smaller OS footprint.
- Azure Edition with Desktop Experience- includes additional new functionality such as SMB over QUIC, extended network for Azure, and is optimized to run in Azure.
- Azure Edition Core - includes additional new functionality such as hotpatching, SMB over QUIC, extended network for Azure, and is optimized to run in Azure.
Your use of the Windows Server images from Azure Marketplace Virtual Machine Gallery are provided to you for use with virtual machine instances under your Azure subscription which are governed by the Online Services Terms. These virtual machine instances are limited for use with Azure. All Server images, including Semi-Annual Channel releases, may be used under the Azure Hybrid Benefit for Windows Server.
Learn moreWindows Server Virtual Machine Documentation
Windows Server Documentation
What's New in Windows Server